Wednesday, July 18, 2018

What is storytelling and why does it matter?




What is storytelling and why does it matter? What makes a social media post go viral in minutes?
These are just a few questions I ask myself almost every day. On my job as the social media manager for a school district, I am constantly trying to figure out what makes a great story. Not just any story but the positive story that reaches national news headlines. 

About a year ago I purchased a book called Made to Stick. It addressed the “ingredients” of storytelling. While the book goes into more depth, I’ve learned so far that story telling requires you to meet your audience in three ways: 

1.     Appeal to the emotions
2.     In broadcast news I learned the WIIFM factor (What’s In It For Me?)  
3.     I have a problem, what’s your solution?

There are certainly more layers to this, but I believe it’s a good starting point. 
So what is storytelling and why does it matter? In my opinion storytelling is about how you make your audience feel. Storytelling matters because it's the best way to persuade, communicate, fulfill the needs and wants of your audience.

I think the best part about storytelling is that we all can learn to do it, whether it's through music, plays, video or social media. The art and power of storytelling is sometimes overlooked, but it truly matters, big time.

Can you remember the last story you heard or watched a story that resonated with you? What was it? Why do you think the story grabbed your attention?  

Here's a video story I did two years ago about a kindergarten/senior high school class reunion. What are your thoughts? Does it meet one or more of the ingredients listed above? Does it resonate with you? Why or why not? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What makes a great song? A great story!

When I think of people who are good lyrical or music storytellers to name a few I think of Jay-Z or Drake for rap, pop music Be...